WILLS & ESTATE PLANNING – ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
Anthony Gaetan Buttigieg has been practicing law since graduating from the University of Ottawa law school in 1987. He also holds a four-year honours bachelor’s degree in geography and planning from the same university.
While at Ottawa U, Gaetan served as the Articles Editor for the Ottawa Law Review, as a volunteer with the Ottawa Law Information Line and as a caseworker with the University of Ottawa Legal Aid Society. He also participated in the Moot Court Program and provided continuing legal education service, preparing and delivering seminars to the public on how to access legal services.Immediately after law school, Gaetan began his career in Toronto with a large Bay Street firm comprised of 80 lawyers where he focused in wills and estates, corporate, commercial and real estate law.
In 1996, Gaetan returned to Ottawa to set up a full-service private practice with the idea of providing more personalized services to his clients. Today, AGBL is known for using a client-focused, holistic approach that recognizes both the business and personal aspects of clients’ legal needs.
As the firm’s founder, a large part of Gaetan’s role is to mentor the law clerks and other lawyers and to manage the staff, together with AGBL’s office manager, Kelly Caird.
Personal and professional activities and achievements
- Involved with several local chambers of commerce and business-networking organizations, including a group for owners of small business where he served a term as president
- Frequent speaker at legal information seminars aimed at seniors and others focusing on topics such as family law, wills and estates, real estate and small business start-up
- Three times nominated for the Nepean Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year Award (2010, 2011 and 2012)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Lawyer Referral Service
- Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario)
- Certified notary public